Book review: Start with Why
I have to share this book as it quite literally energised and connected the dots for me. A lot of people that know me can attest that I always recommend this book, it is called Start with Why by Simon Sinek.
This book highlights that businesses, movements and people should always start with WHY. This purpose should be the basis for every decision that is made.
It's so great for anyone who needs to take a step back either in their personal life, in the team they are managing or for the company they are building. Have a WHY, which is the purpose, cause or belief but also think of the HOW to do it that sets you apart from others.
The main topics the book explores are:
- No one buys into an idea, project or product unless they understand why it exists.
- Success is the fruit of design, not of short-term streaks
- The way something is communicated must be believed in, explained, and people accept it for themselves because they believe in it.
- "The Golden Circle" - the why, how, and what.
- Teams focused on WHAT often fail, while those that start with WHY are capable of extraordinary achievements
- Leadership requires two things: a vision of the world that does not yet exist and the ability to communicate it
My favourite quote: “Working hard for something we do not care about is called stress, working hard for something we love is called passion.”